Examining the ongoing challenges of delivering high-quality, value-added ERP services in Higher Education.


Sunday, October 2, 2011

T-Minus-One to OOW

First things, first: this blog has very little project management or enterprise systems. But I'm on the road for work, so I’ll be using that fact as an excuse to blog some more esoteric thoughts.

Let us start with Virgin America. Never mind that I was fortunate enough to snag one of two rows on the whole plane with an empty middle seat... Or that I devoured the final book in The Hunger Games (start to finish, no joke) and Episode 2 from Season 1 of "Luther" (which might be my new favorite show). Or that you can borrow a Google Chrome netbook for the flight (if so inclined; I wasn’t). Instead, let's talk price (<$350 RT BOS-SFO) and leg room (ample) and overhead space (not an issue) and entertainment system (back of every seat) and that in-flight food and beverage order system (service for snacks -twice- less than 5 min!) I have a new favorite airline. Sorry, AA…

San Francisco is beautiful, but more crowded that I remember. I bought a 7-day Muni pass, thinking it would prove profitable if I could avoid two taxi trips my whole time here. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trekking thru Chinatown on market day (I have never seen so many Yu Choy greens on a city bus) and don't get me started on the disaster of trying to take the cable car back across town.

Posted to Facebook that I will never complain about the Boston MBTA again after today’s ordeal. The first decision on where to spend my afternoon came from an unexpected rationale -- I left my collar stays at home, and with a presentation ahead of me, a trip to Thomas Pink was in order. I bought the collar "bones" for $25; wish I could afford the shirts... Is there an outlet somewhere? The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) was right around the corner from Pink (and the Moscone Center—see below). I hadn't done my research and literally had no idea what to expect. Although I have a quarrel with some modern art no matter the venue, I was overwhelmingly pleased. I can never see too many exhibits of photography in Paris, and I thoroughly enjoyed the special exhibit of furniture and electronics designed by Dieter Rams (from Braun). His ten design principles are worthy advice for any IT professional. The current rotation from the permanent collection was solid, too; I especially liked a triptych of Lichtenstein paintings that emulated Monet’s Rouen Cathedral series.

After touring the galleries and sipping an Anchor Steam at the café, I walked two blocks to the Moscone Center. 2 minutes to get my badge, and nearly 5 to secure the NASCAR-like sponsor-emblazoned messenger bag and other materials. I will share my observations on the schedule and other materials in another blog tomorrow. Before leaving the convention center, I took advantage of the emptiness to marvel at Larry's boat. That thing is huge.

Near the hotel, a restaurant called Pescatore called out to me because the wicker chairs outside made me thing of Paris (even though Pescatore it is an Italian restaurant); I make a walk by reservation, hit the hotel for a quick refresh, and head back for a solid dinner of mixed greens w gorgonzola balsamic and a fantastic cod with potatoes, rapini, and caper butter. Their artisan Manhattan ain't half bad.

Which brings me to the lobby (free Internet) and the iPad, to blog meandering thoughts from the day. Have I mentioned lately how much I love this thing?

0 Comments:

<< Home