Examining the ongoing challenges of delivering high-quality, value-added ERP services in Higher Education.


Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fifteen Minutes, Zero Slides, and a Pulpit?

The last (only) time that I entered Harvard's Memorial Church, the late Reverend Peter Gomes led my graduating class through non-denominational prayers prior. In eight days, I will be standing on stage there addressing Harvard's information technology community (500+) for 15 minutes on our progress implementing Oracle's PeopleSoft student information and business intelligence software.

Remind me to have somebody snap some pics of the first and only time I'm likely to stand on that stage... (Time to update the Twitter bio photo?)

Daunting as the location may be, I also have the distinct misfortune of following Harvard's Provost, Dr. Alan Garber, the keynote speaker. How can I possibly make data conversion, computing infrastructure, and application set-up even a tenth as interesting as anything he says? My palms are sweating at the thought.

And as if all that were not enough, they took my PowerPoint away! Handicap enough in a dark conference room that seats eight, being without my precious crutch scares the bejeezus out of me. No TED Talks imitation. No bullets and no clip art. Just spoken words, hopefully not too many uhs, umms, or curse words uttered when I forget my lines. The only solution is a script and lots upon lots of rehearsal.

Yikes.

0 Comments:

<< Home