Examining the ongoing challenges of delivering high-quality, value-added ERP services in Higher Education.


Monday, February 28, 2011

The Problem of Acronyms in IT

About a year ago I sat with a colleague at the local watering hole. We started talking about the pros and cons for a certain technology solution. A three-letter acronym – by now I forget which one, so let’s call it ABC – was involved. He argued the merits of ABC and I spoke of obstacles. He suggested resolutions and I countered with more emphatic concerns. Eventually we agreed to disagree. As I lifted my pint glass, I realized something was wrong.

“When you say ABC,” I said, “what, exactly, do you mean?”

Turns out we were talking about two entirely different solutions, which fortunately explained some of the more confusing points in our exchange!

Lately, I have been studying the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL), in anticipation of applying its standards to the segment of my group focused on access management for the Harvard ERP systems. The framework is by-and-large common sense – things that many of us learned through doing, but not always with a shared nomenclature. But it is positively riddled with acronyms. A sampling of this morning’s alphabet soup: CMDB, CMS, SKMS, CI, and PIR. In only 30 minutes of Element K training! To pass the certification, I see flashcards in my future…

In part, the problem stems from the lack of an International Institute for Acronym Definition (there’s one for everything else, why not this?) However, it also reflects a broader challenge we information technology professionals face almost daily: simple phrases co-opted by corporations (and often subsequently trademarked!), divergent stakeholder interpretations that take on lives of their own, and the frequent omission contextual detail. For information technology, sometimes the context is not even enough – we recycle and reuse phrases even within the same sub-disciplines of our world.

Consider “CMS” – a repeat offender in the acronym-ubiquity-and-ambiguity category. A quick search on Wikipedia yields a full page of disambiguation options, including TWELVE in the “computing” sub-category (not one of them ITIL’s configuration management system).

I am not suggesting we abandon acronyms; it would be terribly unwieldy to repeat fully qualified names time and again. So what can we do? Legends in every document? An IT-acronym registration service?

Here’s a funny link I found while making sure such a body didn’t already exist: International Association for Important Unnecessary Acronyms

0 Comments:

<< Home